July 26, 2014
Release: MailVault v4.0.0
MailVault v4.0.0 is available.
This is a major release with new features, improvements in security and search, usability enhancements and many minor fixes.
The new stuff includes:
- Users can access their archived email from within their email clients, via MailVault’s new IMAP server. A small email restore, is now as simple as, copy-paste or drag-drop, from one email folder to another.
- MailVault now offers SSL support, using auto-created, self-signed certificates for all network connections. This means convenient security, at zero cost.
- Starting with v4, the index format has been changed. This will allow for even more granular search, as well as improve search performance.
- MailVault alerts now include estimates about when the available disk space will be used up, and how many more messages it will be able to accommodate. Although the estimates are approximate, we expect them to be very useful for the administrator.
A couple of important points to take note of:
- The new index format will cause a new archive to be automatically created and activated. The current archive will be accessible via Plug’n’Play. While this is a minor inconvenience, the benefits will be worth it.
- Using IMAP on MailVault could consume additionally memory. So if your MailVault system is low on RAM, we recommend you use the regular web-interface, or restrict the number of users allowed to use IMAP.
Lastly, the changes we have made, also set the foundation for other improvements expected over the coming weeks. Stay tuned. As usual, we’d love your feedback.
You can upgrade your MailVault installation by going to:
Settings > Core > Auto updates and click on Check for updates
Then simply follow the on-screen instructions.